Use the following steps to create a virtual printer that will print directly from an output queue to a network deskjet or laser printer.
- Start System i Navigator on your PC (If you do not have System i Navigator on your PC then it is possible to complete this task using CRTDEVPRT from a 5250 session)
- Select Basic operations, Printers.
- Right click and select Add Printer.
- Use the wizard and accept defaults, enter the IP address of the printer, enter your own name for the printer (not OfficeJet…).
- When wizard complete no need to print a test page as this will not print correctly anyway.
- Go on to a 5250 session and enter GO PRINTER
- Take Option 4 on the PRINTER menu
- Take Option 8 against the Printer Description created in step 4. For more information about this on the internet, go to the IBM information center using this link http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/. Search for the command “CHGDEVPRT” and you will find a list of printer manufacturers and models, lookup the Manufacturer and Model of your printer in the list of information and make a note of the value for MFRTYPMDL (e.g. *HP520 is the HP Deskjet 520.
- Return to the 5250 session and take Option 2, scroll down and change the setting for MFRTYPMDL to the value appropriate to your printer (e.g. *HP520).
You can now print directly to the Printer Description. You may need to first start the writer (GO PRINTER option 2 and option 1 against the appropriate printer).
Disclaimer: Vision Solutions makes every effort to provide accurate system management information and programming code; however the company cannot be held liable for the accuracy of information nor its compatibility in your own environment. Please review and test thoroughly before implementing. © Copyright 2009, Vision Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved. Vision Solutions develops and sells iSeries high availability and AIX replication and clustering solutions. IBM, System i, iSeries, and AS/400 are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation. All other brands are property of their respective registered owners.